- This event has passed.
CPCS A62 Crane Lift Supervisor Course
A62 Lift Supervisor Course
Venue: Head Office, Ashmead Road, Keynsham, Bristol, BS31 1SX
Contact us for more info.
This course is aimed at individuals working on sites which require workers to be a part of the CPCS scheme. Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will be able to supervise safe systems of work using risk assessments and method statements.
Candidates must have an ‘in date’ CPCS Specialist Supervisors level Health, Safety and Environment test prior to attending. (‘In date’ means that it must have been passed within the last two years). Please see the CITB website for more details: http://www.citb.co.uk/cards-testing/health-safety-environment-test/
It is recommended that prior to attending this course, individuals should have some basic experience of working with lifting equipment, especially mobile cranes.
Candidates must have a good understanding of written and spoken English.
Topics covered during this course include:
- Legislation – LOLER, PUWER, HASAWA
- Codes of practice – BS7121
- Roles and responsibilities of personnel involved with lifting operations
- Crane appreciation – crane types, capabilities and limitations
- Duties charts
- Crane terminology
- Documentation and certification for lifting equipment and lifting accessories
- Safe Load Indicators (SLI) and Safe Working Loads (SWL)
- Types of lifting accessories and safe use
- Slinging techniques
- Down rating of accessories
- Sling angles and the affect on SWL
- Methods of communication
- Proximity hazards
- Preparing a lift site in accordance with the AP’s safe system of work
2 days of training and 1 day of testing, covering both the theory and practical test elements. These tests are taken individually – a one hour verbal theory test and a one hour forty minute practical test with a mobile crane. Due to individual testing the test day may be non-consecutive.
Successful candidates will be issued with a two year red CPCS Trained Operator card endorsed with the Crane Supervisor category.
To obtain a 5 year blue Competent Operator card in this category, candidates must register for and complete the Level 4 NVQ Diploma in Controlling Lifting Operations – Supervising Lifts. They may also choose to extend their knowledge further by taking a CPCS A61 course, enabling them to work as an Appointed Person.