- This event has passed.
CPCS A62 Crane Lift Supervisor
A62 Lift Supervisor Course
Venue: Head office, Ashmead Road, Keynsham, Bristol.
Contact us for more info.
This course is aimed at individuals working on sites which require workers to be a part of the CPCS scheme. Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will be able to supervise safe systems of work using risk assessments and method statements.
Candidates must have a valid CITB Specialist Supervisors level Health, Safety and Environment test prior to attending passed within the last two years. Please see the CITB website for more details: http://www.citb.co.uk/cards-testing/health-safety-environment-test/
It is recommended that prior to attending this course, individuals should have some basic experience of working with lifting equipment, especially mobile cranes.
Candidates must have a good understanding of written and spoken English.
Topics covered during this course include:
- Legislation – LOLER, PUWER, HASAWA
- Codes of practice – BS7121
- Roles and responsibilities of personnel involved with lifting operations
- Crane appreciation – crane types, capabilities and limitations
- Duties charts
- Crane terminology
- Documentation and certification for lifting equipment and lifting accessories
- Safe Load Indicators (SLI) and Safe Working Loads (SWL)
- Types of lifting accessories and safe use
- Slinging techniques
- Down rating of accessories
- Sling angles and the affect on SWL
- Methods of communication
- Proximity hazards
- Preparing a lift site in accordance with the AP’s safe system of work
2 days of training and 1 day of testing, covering both the theory and practical test elements. These tests are taken individually – a one hour verbal theory test and a one hour forty minute practical test with a mobile crane. Due to individual testing the test day may be non-consecutive.
Successful candidates will be issued with a two year red CPCS Trained Operator card endorsed with the Crane Supervisor category.
To obtain a 5 year blue Competent Operator card in this category, candidates must register for and complete the Level 4 NVQ Diploma in Controlling Lifting Operations – Supervising Lifts. They may also choose to extend their knowledge further by taking a CPCS A61 course, enabling them to work as an Appointed Person.