- This event has passed.
CPCS A61 Appointed Person Course
Five day course held at our training centre in Keynsham, situated between Bristol and Bath
This course is aimed at individuals working on sites which require workers to be a part of the CPCS scheme. Following successful completion of the course candidates will be able to identify and implement safe systems of work for basic and standard lifting operations including writing risk assessments and method statements.
Candidates must have a Managers and Professionals level health & safety touch screen test in place (taken within the last 2 years) to be eligible for this course. Please see the CITB website for more details: http://www.citb.co.uk/cards-testing/health-safety-environment-test/
It is recommended that prior to attending this course individuals should have some basic experience of working with lifting equipment, especially mobile cranes.
You must have a good understanding of written and spoken English.
You will be required to produce scale drawings, use formulae and complete calculations, so a certain degree of mathematical competence is necessary. If uncertain please give us a call.
Topics covered during this course include:
- Legislation – LOLER, PUWER, HASAWA
- Codes of practice – BS7121
- Roles and responsibilities of personnel involved with lifting operations including selection and competencies
- Crane appreciation – crane types, capabilities and limitations
- Duties charts
- Crane terminology
- Documentation and certification for lifting equipment and lifting accessories
- Crane stability/ground conditions
- Safe Load Indicators (SLI) and Safe Working Loads (SWL)
- Types of lifting accessories and safe use
- Slinging techniques
- Down rating of accessories
- Sling angles and the effect on SWL
- Methods of communication
- Planning a lifting operation
- Writing a risk assessment and writing a method statement
Five consecutive days including 1 day of Technical Tests covering both the Theory and Practical test elements.
Successful candidates will be issued with a red CPCS Trained Operator card endorsed with the Appointed Person category.
To obtain a 5 year blue Competent Operator card in this category, candidates must register for and complete the Level 5 NVQ Diploma in Controlling Lifting Operations.