Upon completion of this course, candidates will be able to rig and de-rig an all-terrain mobile crane, operate the crane to lift, transfer and position loads and carry out routine maintenance.
Who is it for?
-This course is aimed towards any candidate needing to work on customer governed (non-CPCS) sites. It is designed to provide candidates with underpinning knowledge in order for them to understand the role and responsibility of the mobile crane operator.
-Candidates must have a good understanding of written and spoken English (link to example text)
Topics covered during this course include:
- Legislation – LOLER, PUWER, HASAWA, codes of practice – BS7121
- Roles and responsibilities of personnel involved with lifting operations
- Crane appreciation – crane types, capabilities and limitations
- Duty charts
- Crane terminology
- Documentation and certification for lifting equipment and lifting accessories
- Crane stability/ground conditions
- Rated Capacity Indicator (RCI) and Safe Working Loads (SWL)
- Lifting accessories, types of accessories and use
- Sling angles
- Communications (Radio, verbal and hand signals etc)
- Rigging and De-rigging of cranes according to written instructions
- Configuring cranes according to work specifications
- Hoisting, slewing and derricking following the instruction of the slinger/signaller
- Controlling load movement
- Routine maintenance
- Use of crane on free on wheels duties (if required)
- Use of crane on pick and carry duties (if required)
The duration of the course is variable dependent on the candidate’s prior experience and requirements and it is usually taught on the customer’s crane, on their site. Please call for more details.
Candidates will be issued with a Mobile Crane Operator certificate and photo card with a three year expiry date.
Upon expiry of the card, candidates will need a Non-CPCS Mobile Crane Operator refresher course. Should they be interested in moving into other fields or broadening their skills, they may choose to take a Slinger Signaller or Crane Lift Supervisor qualification.