This course provides an opportunity to look back over the theory of the Appointed Person course and ensure that knowledge is current and in-date.
Who is it for?
-This course is aimed at individuals who have undertaken previous Appointed Person training.
-You must have a good understanding of written and spoken English (link to example text).
-You will be required to produce scale drawings, use formulae and complete calculations, so a certain degree of mathematical competence is necessary (link to examples of maths expected).
Topics covered during this course include:
- Legislation – LOLER, PUWER, HASAWA
- Codes of practice – BS7121
- Roles and responsibilities of personnel involved with lifting operations including selection and competencies
- Crane appreciation – crane types, capabilities and limitations
- Duties charts
- Crane terminology
- Documentation and certification for lifting equipment and lifting accessories
- Crane stability/ground conditions
- Safe Load Indicators (SLI) and Safe Working Loads (SWL)
- Types of lifting accessories and safe use
- Slinging techniques
- Down rating of accessories
- Sling angles and the affect on SWL
- Methods of communication
- Planning a lifting operation
- Writing a risk assessment and writing a method statement
Two day theory training.
Candidates will be issued with an Appointed Person certificate and photo card with a three year expiry date.
Upon expiry of the certification, candidates may return to complete another refresher.