CPCS is required to phase out blue Competent Operator cards gained through Industry Accreditation from 1 January 2020, and any cards issued through transitional routes will be completely removed by 31 December 2024.
What does this mean for you?
If you gained your blue card under Industry Accreditation, and you have not previously achieved a VQ in certain Construction or Plant related occupations, you will have to achieve an NOCN CPCS Competence Interview by the 31 December 2024.
In the meantime, as you come up for renewal from 1 January 2020 NOCN will still issue you a blue card – you will not be disadvantaged on site. Your categories will all expire on 31 December 2024.
Once you have achieved your Competence Interview, NOCN will top your card up to its original expiry date. The cost of the Competence Interview will include a new smart card that will be sent out to you at an address you provide.
You can take the Competence Interview here at our CPCS Test Centre.
If you have achieved a VQ in certain Construction or Plant related occupations – and NOCN have evidence of this – you will not need to do anything further and NOCN will issue you a normal blue Competent Operator Card.
What are your next steps?
You will receive guidance specific to your circumstances when you next renew your card. This guidance will be printed on the letter that your card arrives on. Please keep hold of this letter.
If you are unsure about what you need to do, please get in touch with us and we can talk to you about your individual circumstances.
The NOCN CPCS Competence Interview:
The purpose of the Competence Interview is that you use your knowledge, skills and experience to answer questions that cover the following areas:
• Effective Communication: Oral, written, listening, body language, presentation.
• Team Work: work effectively with others with limited supervision.
• Independent Working: Take responsibility of your own work.
• Logical Thinking: use clean and valid reasoning when making decisions to undertake work instructions.
• Work Effectively: Undertake the work in a reliable and productive manor.
• Time Management: use own time effectively to complete the work instructions to schedule.
• Adaptability: be able to adjust to changes to the work instructions.
• Assertiveness and confidence: able to resist pressures to work following unsafe practices.
• Respect: apply equality, diversity and inclusion in dealing with others.
You can find the questions for the NOCN CPCS Competence Interview here so that you can practice. Documents:
Please contact our centre for further advice and information on 0117 937 6690 (option 6).